Thursday, January 19, 2012

Green thumbs up

Yesterday I posted about the changes in my front and back garden since I moved in just over a year ago - today here is some more detail about the herbs and veggies I have planted.

I have yet to actually harvest any of the veggies but I have high hopes! I have been using the herbs here and there, and I love being able to run outside and grab a few leaves - I don't have to remember to buy them, I don't have to pay for them, and I don't have to throw out half of the bought bunch (how often do you use the whole bunch from the supermarket?) And at about $3 a bunch, it's not a bad way to save a few bucks.










Panoramic view - amateur Photoshop stitching effort (when I took the pictures it hadn't occured to me to do a panorama - next time I will take them with the same f-stop and aperture and angle!)


On Sunday I dropped in to Bunnings to get a few more pots, potting soil and replacement herbs (my coriander seedlings didn't make it, and my rocket sprouts disappeared overnight due to a worm attack!). I also picked up this sweet plant - there were two colour varieties in the same pot for under $5. I repotted them and put them into my IKEA planters, and they are currently brightening up my kitchen windowsill.

It's called the Polka Dot Plant or Hypoestes phyllostachya.



Hopefully the herbs and veggies survive - can't wait to try my first home-grown cucumber!

No comments:

Post a Comment