Thursday, October 27, 2016

2014 update

Found this in the drafts folder and instead of letting it go to waste, thought it was worth publishing! Written in 2014. 

So it has been a while....a long while!

I guess I lost momentum with many of my projects, so there didn't seem to be anything to blog about, and life just carried on.

I've been in my unit for 4.5 years now. When I look back on what I've done, I have done a lot. The big ticket items - kitchen and bathroom renovation - are still on the to-do list, but I'm making progress on the rest.

Here's my instagram picture of a sunset in Emerald, since this post would be pretty boring without some colour!

Here's a quick summary off the top of my head:

  • Whole house painted internally including walls, ceilings, doors, door frames, skirtings and window frames.
  • Carpet removed and floorboards refinished.
  • White timber venetian blinds installed for all windows (purchased at Lincraft during a 70% off sale!)
  • Got the house re-leveled due to a constantly sticking bathroom door
  • Living room: removed dated chandelier light fitting, replaced with free silver fan & light combo, removed inefficient electric wall heater, replaced with reverse cycle split system with enough power to heat and cool a larger floor area once some walls are removed in the future; added new curtains
  • Kitchen: painted cabinets with laminate paint; refinished countertops with leftover Rustoleum Benchtop Resurfacing Kit (my mom redid her kitchen and there was plenty leftover to do mine); added a shelf under the top cabinets
  • Laundry: nothing...
  • Bathroom: removed electric wall heater after it stopped working; replaced door handle with modern alternative (the original one was broken) and added hooks behind the door.
  • Bedrooms: added curtains
  • Hallway: blocked off a redundant hallway to create a linen/storage cupboard...still a work in progress; finally painted and dealt with wallpaper in the main hallway
  • Roof: had new gutters installed and the roof repointed.
  • Installed solar panels.
  • Redid backyard and front garden to create a low maintenance space to give the place some personality, removed old washing line that took up the whole backyard (I never used it), removed some trees that were taking up too much room and growing too close to the house.
  • Replaced all the architrave light switches with standard modern wall mounted switches; replaced some dated light fittings.
  • Installed extra smoke alarm
  • Repaired giant hole in the hallway ceiling (my darling brother put his foot through it while doing some electrical for me up in the roof).

No comments:

Post a Comment