Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Mealprep

I try to eat healthy, homemade food, but it's hard to do when you're not prepared. To make sure I have plenty of lunch options for work, along with easy dinners I decided to do a bit of meal prep. I planned my meals for the week, went grocery shopping and planned my meal prep:


  • Marinated mushrooms
  • Pesto Zucchini slice - I Quit Sugar recipe from one of the programs I've done (will make 8 slices for the freezer, which I usually take for lunch along with cherry tomatoes, snow peas, mini cucumbers and a hard boiled egg)
  • Lemon & herb chicken
  • Roast potatoes
  • Mexican bean salad
  • 1/2 dozen hard boiled eggs
  • Chorizo, bean and kale soup (will freeze the whole batch)
Get all your ingredients together...except now I have no counter space! 

I will share the some of the recipes in upcoming posts. 

To plan the meal prep, think about the order you're doing things. This is what I did:
  1. Put the eggs in a saucepan, covered them with water, added a splash of vinegar and turned the heat on. My strategy is to let the water come to a boil, let it boil for 1 minute and then turn the heat off. I take the saucepan off the stovetop (I have an electric stove top which retains the heat for a long time) and leave the eggs in the hot water to gradually cool down. Once cool, store in the fridge.
  2. Preheat the oven for the Pesto Zucchini slice.
  3. Make the slice - by the time I've made it, the oven is preheated.
  4. Chop potatoes, toss with olive oil, garlic powder and smoked paprika, add to the oven.
  5. Make the soup
  6. Make the Mexican bean salad
  7. Wash and quarter the mushrooms, boil them in salted water for 10 minutes, drain & let cool
  8. Make the chicken - by this time the slice and potatoes are done so I switch the oven to grill mode and grill the chicken on a foil-covered tray for easier clean up.
  9. Use leftover marinade to marinade a second batch of chicken - put in ziploc bags in the freezer for use at a later date.
  10. Make the marinade for the mushrooms and mix through the cooled mushrooms

Pesto zucchini slice is ready for the oven


Lastly, let everything cool and transfer to appropriate containers - store in the fridge or freezer.

I also tried using this vegetable chopper for the first time, similar to the one Alyssia from Mind over Munch swears by, thinking it would save me time. I'll review it in a future post.

The soup is done!


Because I have a small kitchen and no dishwasher, I actually washed dishes continually throughout the process, about 3 or 4 batches. Otherwise I wouldn't have any space to store all the dirty dishes, or be able to have all the clean ones out to dry! 


Finally done!



No comments:

Post a Comment